If you manage or oversee commercial kitchens, it’s important to understand all of the commercial kitchen hood requirements in order to safely run your kitchen.
Neglecting to keep up with restaurant kitchen hood maintenance and requirements can result in a lot of expensive repairs, fees, and even dangerous working conditions for your employees.
Continue reading to learn more about commercial restaurant hood systems and maintenance or get in touch with APEX Hood Cleaning if you would like to schedule a date for our team to come and inspect your restaurant hood system.
What Is a Restaurant Hood System?
First things first, what is a restaurant hood system and what does it do?
A restaurant hood system is designed to extract heat and grease from your commercial kitchen. It is a ventilation system that is necessary for keeping your kitchen safe, reducing slip and fall injuries, and mitigating the risk of kitchen fires.
It also ensures that adequate airflow circulates through your commercial kitchen, keeping your working environment fresh and clean.
Parts Of a Restaurant Hood System
What are the various components of a restaurant hood system?
A restaurant hood system is usually made up of the following components:
- Exhaust fan
- Exhaust hood
- Control panel (where you can tailor the ventilation system to your needs at any given moment)
- Pollution control units (made to control grease and kitchen odors)
- Rooftop units
- Grease duct
- Grease trap pan/cup
Types of Kitchen Fan Systems
There are several types of restaurant hood systems that you might find yourself choosing from. Some of the different options for restaurant hood systems include:
- Microwave with hood (over the range)
- Ceiling mount hood system
- Underneath the cabinet hood systems
- Downdraft hood systems
- Wall-mounted range hood system
- Ducted restaurant hood system
- Recirculating restaurant hood systems
Restaurant Hoods Routine Maintenance
It is vitally important to have your restaurant hoods routinely inspected and maintained. Doing so mitigates countless risks while also improving the workplace environment for your employees.
Some of the routine maintenance that should occur in a commercial kitchen include:
- Regularly switching out the hood filter (this should be done every one to three months depending on how often the kitchen is used)
- Professional hood cleaning and inspection
- Routine inspections of your restaurant hood system to ensure that everything is functional
The Importance Of Cleaning Your Commercial Kitchen Hood
Why is it so important to have your commercial kitchen hood system cleaned and maintained regularly?
Some of the reasons why it’s vitally important to have your commercial kitchen hood cleaned regularly include:
- Doing so mitigates the risk of kitchen fires.
- Having a clean commercial kitchen hood creates a more hygienic environment.
- Slip and fall accidents are reduced when restaurant hood systems are routinely cleaned and maintained.
- The NFPA requires by law for commercial kitchens to have their exhaust hood systems routinely cleaned by a professional. Neglecting to follow this guideline places restaurant owners at risk of receiving large fines or even facing closure.
- Having your commercial kitchen hood system cleaned makes for a more productive, efficient work environment.
Commercial Hood Installation Cost
When it comes to range hood installation cost, this depends on the type and size of the restaurant hood system you’re ordering.
In general, commercial hood installation costs around $1,000 per square foot. So if, for example, you’re having a 15-foot range hood installed, you could be looking at installation costs of around $15,000.
Most commercial hood installation services will provide you with an estimate of the installation cost if you request it, so don’t hesitate to reach out to potential installers.
Best Restaurant Hood Systems
Some of the most highly-rated restaurant hood systems include:
- PLJW 185 (under-cabinet system)
- PLFW 520 (wall-mounted system)
- PLJI 103 (kitchen island system)
- PLFI 755.60 (kitchen island system)
- ProSW.60 (wall-mounted system)
Depending on the size of range hood that you need, more or fewer options will be available. Range hoods typically vary in size between 30-inch and 60-inch sizes.
How Often Should I Have My Restaurant Hood System Cleaned?
How often do I need to have my restaurant hood system cleaned and inspected?
As a general rule, you should have your commercial kitchen hood system cleaned and inspected every three months (at the longest).
A few exceptions to the three-month cleaning rule include:
- If your commercial kitchen has wood or charcoal stoves. In this case, they will need to be cleaned every month.
- If you operate a fast-food restaurant. You should also have your restaurant hood system cleaned monthly in this case.
There may be additional exceptions to the three-month rule so if you’re unsure if your kitchen is an exception you should always call and speak with a hood cleaning professional about your unique commercial kitchen situation.
Keep in mind that it is always better to err on the side of caution rather than risk a kitchen fire or fine. So if you are feeling any uncertainty, you should get in touch with a hood cleaning expert, like the ones here at Apex Hood Cleaning, with your questions.
Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Hood Cleaning Service in Washington & Oregon
If you own or manage a commercial kitchen in Washington or Oregon, partner with the most efficient restaurant hood cleaning service by calling APEX Hood Cleaning.
Here at APEX Hood Cleaning, our restaurant hood system cleaners have been hard at work making commercial kitchens safer and more efficient since 1978. We understand the importance of having a clean and maintained restaurant hood system and have dedicated the past 40-years to making that happen.
Our restaurant hood system cleaners are made up of a hardworking, efficient, thoroughly trained, passionate group of individuals who would be happy to bring our expertise into your kitchen.
To learn more about our restaurant hood system cleaners or to book our team to visit your commercial kitchen, get in touch with APEX Hood Cleaning today.
A safer, more functional commercial kitchen is just a phone call away.